Gallstones can lurk inside your gallbladder. Many people have gallstones and never know it. Gallstones are hard deposits in your gallbladder, a small organ that stores bile, which is a digestive fluid made in the liver. Gallstones may consist of cholesterol, salt, or bilirubin, which are discarded red blood cells. Gallstones range in size. They can be as small as a grain of sand or as large as an apricot
What Causes Gallstones?
The components in bile can crystallize and harden in your gallbladder, leading to gallstones. According to Medical history 80 percent of gallstones are made of cholesterol. The other 20 percent of gallstones are made of calcium salts and bilirubin. These are known as pigment stones.